In Sivaganga District there is one Regional Transport Office functioning at Sivaganga and 1 unit office functioning at Karaikudi for the convenience of public and applicants
The following works are being carried out in this Office
- Issue of Learner’s Licence, Driving License and Conductor Licence etc.
- Registration of Motor Vehicles, Renewal of Registration Certificate etc.
- Issue of Fitness Certificate and Renewal of Fitness Certificate etc.
- Issue of National Goods Carriage Permit, Goods Carriage Permit, Contract Carriage Permit (Tourist Taxi, Maxi Cab, Autorickshaw, Shared Auto, etc), Educational Institution Bus, Private Service Vehicle, Stage Carriage Permit etc.
- Checking of all classes of Motor Vehicles in respect of Road Safety aspects and other offences and collecting Compounding fee.
- Action taken against the Driving Licence holders who involved in fatal accident and violation of Transport Rules.
- Celebration of Road Safety week in the month of January every year to make awareness among the public.
- Checking of Pollution Testing Centre, Emergency Accident Relief Centre etc.
Road safety and Avoiding Road Accidents :
- In order to improve the knowledge, and creating awareness among the public on road safety, transport department has introduced a system, which contains. Importance of road signals, signs and its regular usage on roads. Every applicant for l.l.r. Must possess this knowledge and this has been tested by the computer. After passing this test, LLR Will be issued to the applicant.
- After testing the applicant knowledge of road signal and signs and its usage of road, then only he will be issued driving licence.
- For the past ten years, the transport department celebrating “road safety week” from 1STto7TH january of every year. This contains following programmers.
- Fare eye test camps conducted by the eye specialists for drivers
- Conducting special procession to create road safety awareness and distributing pamphlets to the public. Carrying out special checks on overload and over speed.
- Carrying out combined checks with officials of pollution board against dazzling head lights and against usage of air horns.
- Conducting special competition test on road safety at the school / college levels.
- Conducting special classes at selected schools / colleges in connection with road safety
Avoiding Road Accidents :
In order to curb the drunken driving, in 2017 , transport department suspended 456 licence. Similarly in the case of fatal accident, in 2017, 35 licences were suspended. Accident prone zones are identified and proposals for avoiding accidents has been submitted after having consultation with police department and high ways department. Carry out special checks to curb the overload of goods, overload of persons and over speed. This enforcement work reduces number of accidents on the road.
|Name/Designation||Contact Number||Email ID||Address|
|Regional Transport Office, Sivaganga||04575 – 240243||rtotn63[at]nic[dot]in||Regional Transport office,
Near Collectorate Office,
|Unit Office, Karaikudi||04565 – 227879||rtotn64z[at]nic[dot]in||Motor Vehicle Inspector Gr.I,
Unit Office, Kulithalai,